Saturday, August 8, 2015

The magic jumper ... by Jemima

Brrrr it’s freezing - I can’t believe Winter has arrived.

I wake up to hear the loud noise of my alarm clock, a hand-me-down from my mum which came from her mum. I didn’t want that alarm clock but my mum gets up extra early and works the whole day 6am to 9pm, so I need something to wake me and I can’t afford a new one.

But wait, I’m late! I guess I slept through my first alarm. I throw on my clothes. Oh no! My favourite jumper is in the wash and I don’t have time to wash it so I’ll just have to wear the jumper my mum knitted me. It’s the one with the bird on the back and it has wide wings and pom poms on the rim. I’m so embarrassed - Why today? Why?

I run outside and grab my bike (well my mum’s bike, she catches the tram on Fridays). I race to school and just make it in time for our first lesson. I try to cover my jumper as much as possible.

The day goes by so quickly and the next I know, I’m on the school front steps quickly grabbing my bike. I cycle home without stopping except at the lights, maybe a bit too fast because I hit a rock and snowflakes cover me… WHAT? It doesn’t even snow in Australia (at least not where I live!) I’ve ever actually touched snow. I search through my bag to find my gloves. It’s even colder then before - and that was cold!

I get up off the ground and it's snowing everywhere. I can’t see my way home, this is going to be tricky. I’m lost. I see a lonely tree all by itself covered in snow. Moving quickly towards it, trying not to get caught in the blizzard, I get to the tree and shut my eyes. For a funny moment I start thinking that I’m floating. I open my eyes and I am floating.

Oh My God!!! My jumper with the bird on the back, it’s wings are fluttering. That’s what’s making me fly. I am getting the hang of things when BANG! I hit the floor. That’s strange - I was so high and when I fell I didn’t feel any pain? Oh that’s right, the pom poms and the snow make it a soft landing. I stand up and try again but I keep falling. I try again and again but it’s not working. I think about my mum - she’s probably thinking I would be home by now. But it’s not my fault if I’m late, I can’t see my way home. How could this just happen? It’s magic!

I start floating up again. This is my last shot and I need to get it right. I start flying to the side. YAY! It’s working. But I still can’t see my way home. But then I realise there are no houses or schools or shops - nothing - just nothing, only the lonely tree. "Where am I?" I shout and see a figure that I hope will save me.

The figure comes closer and closer. It’s the only thing I see besides the lonely tree. The figure is alone. Then I see it clearly - it’s a little girl with a small dress covered with snowflakes. "Hello dear you seem lost?" she says. "As a matter of fact I am lost and was wondering if you could help me find my way. I was riding my bike and it hit a rock and snowflakes covered me and then I started to float and my jumper was making me…"

"Whoa, slow down dear you are talking way to fast. Wait, did you say jumper?"

"Yeah, it was making me fly. I think it might be magical"

"It can’t be, but maybe it is…"

"Is what?" I ask.

"A long time ago, there was this magic jumper with pom poms on the rim and a bird with wide wings, It’s just like that jumper but it went missing."

"Well it can’t be because my mum knitted it, or did she?"

"Well dear, you better come with me. The only person who can prove it is the Master - he knows everything."

We walk until we find a small little Kingdom. "This is where the Master lives and all the other workers" says the girl.

The gate opens and we go inside. "May I ask you what your name is?" I ask the girl.

"Well my nickname is ‘Pinkie’ because I'm the smallest worker so you can just call me that."

When we reach a big door, two guards look at Pinkie and open the gates. "Only the workers and the guards can go in the Master’s room" she says in a whisper. "You have to be quiet because the Master hates loud noise."

In front of us we see a throne with a tall person sitting in it. "I have something to show you." says Pinkie.

"WHAT?!" he booms.

"I found a girl lost and she has a magical jumper. We were wondering if it’s the one that went missing".

"Hmmm" he stands up and examines it. "It sure looks like the real thing. Does it fly?"

"Yes" I say.

"Well the only jumper to fly is that one you have so it’s the jumper that went missing. You are a very lucky young lady and this jumper needs to be shared with the world."

"But how?" I ask.

"You’ll find a way."

I was confused. I didn't know how to share it with the world, hopefully I can find a way. Pinkie and I leave the room and go outside.

"Do you need help finding your home?" Pinkie asks.

"I’ll manage." I say.

"Ok, it was nice meeting you" says Pinkie.

I run to the tree and pick up my bike. I start riding home and strangely hit the same rock again. Next I’m lying on the footpath. "That was strange" I say puzzled.

I see the familiar houses and quickly ride home to mine. My mum’s home and after giving her a big hug, I ask, "Mum can I donate my knitted jumper?"

"Sure", mum says, "maybe it’s time for another kid to experience the magic!"

She must have known all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to us!