Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Strange shadow ... by Persephone


I woke up on the floor with a strange cat staring at me. The cat's gold eyes stared, stared at me like two bright beacons. I quickly got up. The floor was familiar, and not familiar at the same time.

Its woven carpet made movement easy, but I was still stiff. I don't remember being knocked out, but I must have been out for a while if my muscles had tensed up. I stood up, did a few stretches and walked out the room. A long hallway of blackness loomed before me. The cat walked to my side and stood, hair standing up on its back.

We stared together down the hallway. I took one step and the cat moved with me. I took another step, and another. I started walking cautiously down the corridor, until I felt comfortable enough to jog. I looked back. The cat had stopped. It blended in with the shadows, the only thing visible were its big, bright beacon eyes.

I stopped. I waited. I began to whistle and click my fingers, tempting it to come to me. It took one look at me and turned away. I watched it fade into the blackness, and then started falling.

The shadows enclosed around me, growing ever tighter until, everything released itself, and I could breathe again. The room around me was pure white. The cat sat at the doorway. I noticed its fur was jet black, the same color as my cat. Coincidence? I walked towards the cat. I kneeled down, and scratched under it's chin, but before I could even get a purr out of it, it vanished.

I got up, and everything went black again. I waited for the falling sensation and the walls closing tighter around me, but nothing. I heard voices but nothing else. The room suddenly turned white again, like someone flicked a light switch, and I realized instantly I wasn't alone. Strange shadows painted the opposite wall, some were still, but others twitched and moved around crazily.

I stared at them. Many things I have stared at in wonder, but this really changed my view of things. Was it a crazy light  trick? Or was it some kind of hallucination? Well, for all I know, they're shadows. I walked backwards out the door, not taking my eyes off the shadows. Big mistake. I suddenly lost my footing and fell through darkness again. Black, shadows, ever tightening walls and then, nothing. I was getting sick of this.

I stared around. This room looked completely normal. A cafe from the looks of it. But there were no people.

No one sitting, chatting, serving or using a computer. Nothing and no one. I walked out the front door into a deserted street. Tall, glass skyscrapers towered over me. And when I say glass, I mean glass. They looked as though they would shatter into a thousand tiny, and lets not forget sharp, pieces.

The cat, its hair as black as the void, stared at me. Golden eyes, piercing my body. I walked towards it. I suddenly remembered something from when I was falling through darkness, something the tightening walls had blocked. The shadows, twitching and all, and that cat were there. They watched me fall. I looked down at the cat. It was gone. I looked left and right, but no sign of it. Well, it was getting annoying anyway. I turned and came face to face with a pure black man. I realized instantly, he was one of the twitching shadows. We stared at each other for what felt like an eternity. Then without thinking, I ran.

The skyscrapers shattered as I ran. The shadow was untouched, but I kept going. I reached the end of the road, and stared at a long deep drop. I turned. There stood the shadow. I could endure  tight spaces if only to get away from it. I leaned back, letting my body fall. I fell slowly, twisting gracefully. Then I hit something.

I sat up, feeling the warm bed covers around me. I stared at a black fur ball at the end of my bed. I smiled. Just a dream.

My cat woke up as I got out of bed. I walked to the door, and turned. Bright, gold, beacon eyes stared at me. Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to us!